If you are a parent to a child with Attention Deficit Hyperactivity Disorder (ADHD) this is probably not the first time you’ve considered an alternative therapy method. The most common treatment offered to ADHD children today is medication, which often only replaces one problem with another. Instead of running wildly around with their friends your kid is now lying on the sofa, not wanting to do anything. Instead of not being able to concentrate they now have no appetite.
If you experienced any of this you are probably thinking “there must be a better way!” Well, there is: neurofeedback therapy. This therapy is based on electroencephalography (EEG), which measures brain waves to allow for self-regulation of brain activity.
Here are 5 reasons why you should switch to neurofeedback therapy:
1) Research has shown that immediately following neurofeedback sessions there is a significant improvement in a child’s inattentive and hyperactive behavior
2) Neurofeedback contributes to academic improvements because it helps the child develop learning strategies that are particularly adapted to their way of thinking
3) The improvements following one neurofeedback therapy session are greater, faster, and last longer than any other treatment method including medication
4) During the therapy the child receives the unlimited attention of the therapist and gets rewarded for their hard work through constructive feedback (many ADHD kids do not get to experience positive feedback from their teachers)
5) The neurofeedback therapy is based on the child’s own involvement and independent participation. Instead of sedating your kid with drugs, neurofeedback helps them gain the confidence to actively fight their disorder
The best thing about this kind of therapy is that it is completely natural, it gives the child a sense of independence, and it works better than any other treatment available.